The selection process to choose the winner of the HISPASAT Prize has begun
March 10, 2015
The operator has received 19 projects that are competing for the Prize for the Best Telecommunications Satellite Innovation Project.
The jury, presided by HISPASAT's president, is made up of professionals of renowned prestige in the academic and business sectors of the aerospace industry.
The awards ceremony will take place in June at the HISPASAT headquarters in Madrid.
The Spanish satellite communications operator HISPASAT has started the selection process of the candidate projects for the Prize for the Best Telecommunications Satellite Innovation Project, which the company organised last June for its 25th anniversary.
19 projects from both the space industry and the academic sector were submitted for the prize. The selection stage, in which the usefulness and applicability of the innovations proposed by the candidates will be evaluated based on the prize rules, is now under way. The result of these first votes will be released in April. The five projects awarded the highest number of points will continue on to the second stage, in which the technical soundness of the submitted project will be assessed.
The jury will give their final decision in May. The awards ceremony will take place in June at HISPASAT’s headquarters, and will end a series of celebrations that have taken place throughout this anniversary year.
The prize for the winning proposal will consist of 12,000 Euros and a diploma. The runner up will be given 5,000 Euros and a diploma.
The jury, presided by HISPASAT president Elena Pisonero, is made up of experts in the aerospace industry.
1. Ms. Elena Pisonero, President of HISPASAT.
2. Mr. Antonio Abad, HISPASAT Chief Technical Officer.
3. Mr. Juan José Alonso, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Stanford University.
4. Lieutenant General Ignacio Azqueta Ortiz, General Director of INTA (National Institute of Aerospace Technology).
5. Mr. José María Casas, Former Assistant Director of the Department of Telecommunications at ESA (European Space Agency).
6. Mr. Antonio Elías, Chief Technical Officer at Orbital ATK.
7. Mr. Elías Fereres Castiel, President of the Spanish Royal Academy of Engineering.
8. Mr. Eugenio Fontán Oñate, Dean of the Official College of Telecommunications Engineers.
9. Mr. Antonio Fuentes, Former General Director of AIRBUS CASA.
10. Mr. Miguel Ángel Gómez Tierno, Director of Superior Technical School of Aerospace Engineers - Technical University of Madrid.
11. Mr. Xavier Lobao, Head of Future Telecommunications Projects at ESA (European Space Agency).
12. Mr. Jorge Lomba, Head of ESA projects at CDTI (Centre for Industrial Technological Development).
13. Ms. Estefanía Matesanz, Dean of the Spanish Official College of Aerospace Engineers.
14. Mr. Fernando Ortega, Former Chief Technical Officer of Thales Alenia Space España.
15. Mr. Félix Pérez Martínez, Director of Superior Technical School of Telecommunications Engineering - Technical University of Madrid.
16. Mr. Pedro Pintó Tardón, Former Chief Technical Officer of HISPASAT.
Secretary (no vote):
Ms. Marta Serrano, from the HISPASAT legal department.
About HISPASAT Group
HISPASAT Group is composed of companies with a foothold in Spain as well as in Latin America, where its Brazilian affiliate HISPAMAR sells its services. The Group is a world leader in the distribution and broadcasting of Spanish and Portuguese content, and its satellite fleet is used by important direct-to-home television (DTH) and high-definition television (HDTV) digital platforms. HISPASAT is one of the world's largest companies in terms of revenue in its sector, and the main communications bridge between Europe and the Americas.